Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Handmade Jewelry

Victorian Black Poppy Necklace by Bernardini Designs
Before I go into my topic for this entry, I want to apologize for the lack of posts this year. This has been a very hectic and stressful year, with many changes in my life as well as in my hobbies and interests. I still have a few photography-related blogs I need to post, which was the hobby-of-the-moment in 2009. But this year, I went back to my first love, music. I'm hoping to put together some videos to share soon.

But on to subject of handmade jewelry. I have two online stores to share with you, just in time for the holiday season.



Bernardini Designs
http://www.artfire.com/users/bernardinidesigns
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pbsnaps

Pat Bernardini of Bernardini Designs is a multi-talented artist that enjoys working with different mediums and loves to learn new techniques. From her bio:

Background in fine art and photography. Compulsive crafter including furniture making, fish decoy carving, jewelry design, photoshop, quilting etc. etc. Love to learn new techniques and to create one of a kind jewelry items combining vintage components with contemporary and reproduction findings.

In her store, she sells photography prints as well as jewelry. If you read some of the descriptions of the jewelry, you'll find that she can hold on to a component for years until she finds just the right piece to go with it. The results are timeless fashion pieces with personality and soul. She is inspired by the Victorian and other classic eras, and especially by the jewelry of Frida Kahlo.



LongLocks HairSticks
http://www.longlocks.com

I've actually known of LongLocks since before I started this blog and can't believe I haven't mentioned it yet. If you are tired of trendy hairstyles and want to go for a classy, clean look, hairsticks are the way to go. Susan Maxwell makes some of the best on the 'net. Toppers can be crystals, gemstones, glass, silver, and at one point she was making her own beads out of polymer clay but I don't know if she still does. Her stick finishes almost rival the beauty of the beads. They include foiled, marbled, mineral leaf, one that looks like it's sugar-coated, and others. Most designs are one-of-a-kind and come with a certificate. If you already own a particulat design, it's possible to have it duplicated. Or if you are having them custom made for a bridal party, then they can of course be duplicated.

My hair is no longer long enough for hairsticks so I haven't bought any in a while. But you can see my collection in my gallery as well as different updo styles. (Not all the sticks are by LongLocks, though.)
http://www.loopfree.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=19438

Strawberry Tea by LongLocks Hairsticks


Photos by khrome: (top) Victorian Black Poppy Necklace by Bernardini Designs; (bottom) Strawberry Tea by LongLocks Hairsticks

No comments: