Saturday, December 5, 2009

Holiday Shopping







It's that time of year again for holiday shopping! I thought I'd write about a few of my crafty friends, if you are into handmade, self-published, or making gifts yourself. I always find it's nice to give people gifts that are unique and/or handmade, while at the same time you are supporting an individual that you can actually talk to instead of a corporate store.


Steampunk Cuff Links by LilVoodoo's Curios

These beautiful steampunk-inspired cuff links were made by my guildie, Sean. Each one is one-of-a-kind and crafted from salvaged parts. One picture cannot do these little gems justice, as they change color under different light sources and angles, so I've included here a few shots of the set I bought from him.



From his site:

From steampunk jewelry to spiritual talismans, each of our pieces are hand-made and one of a kind.

Looking for something unique and don't see it here, let us know. Whether its a piece of jewelry, gris-gris bag or a little this-and-that in a bottle, we aim to please.


Be sure to click on the "Sold" link to see his past work. They sell fast, so you have to check his store often.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LilVoodoo


Children's Book by Pamela Strange

"The Only Way To Get To The Backyard Is Through The House" is the first, self-published, work by my friend, Pam.

From Goodreads:
Follow the adventures of Buddie the Cocker Spaniel as he learns that there is more than one way to reach the backyard! This book, geared towards 2 to 5 year olds, teaches concepts such as "in", "through", and "around".

I bought this book for my niece, who really enjoyed it. I'm planning to buy another one for my other niece who is soon to be 2 years old.

Pam enjoys doing readings at book stores and public libraries. She loves to engage her listeners and be interactive, rather than straight reading. She periodically does signings, as well.

Pam contracted Anna Measures to do the illustrations for her book. Here are both Pam's and Anna's biographies from Xlibris:

Pamela Strange has a degree in English Literature from University of South Florida. Her career has been in Information Technology. She is currently employed by Fielding Graduate University based in Santa Barbara, CA. Pam loves dogs, and loves that they love unconditionally. She enjoys reading positive fiction, and aspires to write in that genre as well as Mysteries and Picture Books. She has had the privilege to have been inspired by many loving pets – including Buddie! To all who are young-at-heart from 2 to 102 , may Buddie´s story bring you joy and inspire you. As you find your path, it might even teach you a preposition or two along the way!

Anna Measures - Illustrator Anna Measures lives in Oxnard, California. She currently works as a designer of children´s products and is available for freelance llustration work.


You can order "The Only Way To Get To The Backyard Is Through The House" from:
http://www2.xlibris.com/Bookstore/bookdisplay.aspx?bookid=35568

And you can keep up to date with Pam's news at her website:
http://www.strangewriter.com/

.

4 comments:

Marie Cruz said...

Love the steampunk cuff links! They are so intricate, so unique! I will definitely check out his site. Maybe it'll give me some inspiration for my new project, a story some steampunk and old world alchemy mixed in!

khrome said...

Ooh I definitely want to read that story!!

I have a couple of other links to send you for inspiration - I will send them later. :-)

Marie Cruz said...

Cool! Doncha love the way I leave out words when I type? My comment should've read "a story WITH some steampunk and old world alchemy mixed in". :D

Glad you liked the idea! I just checked out a few books on alchemy ... where them links you told me about? you can email it to me at mariveecruz at yahoo dot com.

khrome said...

Oops sorry! It's been hectic here and I forgot to send the links. I'll post them here in case anyone else wants to see:

This guy is an AWESOME steampunk artist. He does computer mods, and I think he does furniture too. I would love to have him decorate my house!
http://www.datamancer.net/

This gal is a designer of Neo-Victorian fashion. She used to have a style that was a combination of Japanese lolita and steampunk, but I don't see that as much anymore on her site:
http://www.scoundrelleskeep.com/

This is the site for the Difference Engine they used to have on display at the Computer History Museum. We made a special trip there just to see it in person - it was amazing! Anyway, lots of good info on Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace on this site:
http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

So that's a few linkees for inspiration. :-)