Thursday, January 8, 2009

Learning to Knit - Inspired by Gothic & Lolita Bible Pattern

Volume 4 of Gothic & Lolita Bible (US Version) was chock full of super cute stuff for winter and the holiday season. One pattern inspired me to learn how to knit - the Odekake Chocolat-Cat Kitty Muffler. My aunt taught me to crochet when I was little but no one I knew knew how to knit. I tried when I was little to learn from diagrams but either my newbie brain couldn't decipher it or the diagrams were crappy, who knows. So I've always had the belief that "knitting is hard". Nowadays, with the internet and youtube videos, learning to knit is MUCH easier. And turns out it's not hard at all!

This pattern was rated "intermediate" but I'm a beginner and I was able to complete it - here is what you need to know (hint - these are keywords you can search for if you are learning to knit):

  • How to read a knitting chart (in this case, a Japanese simplified knitting chart)

  • Japanese needle size conversion

  • How to knit and purl, the building blocks of knitting stitches

  • How to combine knit and purl to make do Stockinette Stitch and Rib Stitch

  • How to cast on, how to cast off

  • How to increase and decrease

  • How to join knitted pieces together

Here are a list of videos and sites that helped me put this together:


About My Kitty Scarf


I used Bernat Cashmere Natural Blends in Petal. The yarn in the pattern, as far as I can tell, is not readily available in the US. My yarn called for a US Size 8 needle but I used 10 instead. The pattern said to use a Japanese Size 12 which falls between US 9 and 10. My scarf ended up slightly bigger than the pattern but that was fine with me - I used all the same stitch and row counts except for the length of the body of the cat. I made mine shorter since I'm a small person.

:-)

I made my own eyes from polymer clay, acrylic paint, and glossy varnish. I didn't put all the bling the pattern asked for - just a personal preference. Maybe I would if I dressed in loli more. My scarf is far from perfect - I could use help with finishing techniques -the back looks terrible.

Sorry, but I'm not going to post the pattern here since G&LB vol 4 is still in print. If you are interested in making this scarf pick one up at Amazon - they have the best prices.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I just love the kitty scarf! You did such a great job with it!

Betsy said...

Oh I've been wanting to learn how to do that! Thank you for posting that. How long did it take you to knit?

khrome said...

Thanks all!

It took me a week, working on it a few afters after work. The instructions say it should take 20 hours and that sounds about right. Since I posted this, I learned the Continental style of knitting - holding the yarn in your left hand. You can knit much faster if you use that method.

Anonymous said...

I saw your Angelic Pretty kitty scarf in ravelry! I was wondering, do you happen to still have the pattern? Like do you happen to have a scan of the pattern? The magazine it was featured in is now out of print and most people selling theirs want $50-100 for it now O_O

Anyway, my username on ravelry is: novlomien ... please send me a message if you can! I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

khrome said...

Hi novlomien! Thanks for your comment. I'm going to send you a message on Ravelry right now.
- K

Victorian Couture said...

hi i saw kitty-chan on rarelry, do you still have the pattern?, I can't find it online and i live in New Zealand and none of the booksellers here can order it in, and it's whould be an arm and leg for me to import it T^T
my ravelry username is = studiosquuee,
send me a message <3
I would really appreciate it <3

khrome said...

Hi Studiosquee! I have sent you a message on Ravelry.