Tuesday, May 13, 2008

DIY: DDR Patterns for Crystal T's


I recently installed a closet organizer, and as I was putting away my clothes I noticed I had a t-shirt project I never finished. I figured since I had gotten back into DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) I should probably finish it. And I'm also sharing the pattern! I actually have two.

For detailed instructions on how to use these patterns, please see my blog How to Make Your Own Custom Rhinestone Pattern. You will only need to follow the instructions past the section marked Apply Crystals to Transfer Film. That blog also has useful links of where to find shirts, crystals, and other materials.

A note for people that use the BeJeweler or similar stone setting tool - you can still use these patterns, but you may have to invert them back to the original orientation. Right now, they are mirror images of what the real arrows should look like because of the method I use for transferring the pattern.

THESE PATTERNS ARE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. They may not be used for profit, lest you risk copyright infringement with the makers of the game.

DDR Butterfly


Some of you hardcore players will recognize this series of steps - the Butterfly Turn. Here's what you need:
  • 230 2mm crystals or less. You can use different combinations of colors - for mine, I used light pink Swarovski crystals for the top row, and rose pink nailheads for the other arrows. Swarovski's are sparklier, thus give the illusion of movement, so if I were to do it over again I would use them on the bottom instead, and use nailheads for the top row. It's completely up to you!
  • Blank T-shirt. See the link above for some places to buy blank t's. American Apparel is very popular, but their sizes tend to run skinny. I like to have some room in my shirts. The v-neck I'm wearing in the photo is by Anvil andit's very comfy.
  • Silicon Transfer Film. See link above for where to buy.
  • Standard Iron. Ask your mom - I'm sure she has one. ;-)
  • The Pattern. Click this link, save the image to your computer, and print it. This is already a mirror-image so you do not have to modify it. I made the dots a little small, so you do not have to put as many crystals as it shows - just make sure the arrows have the same number of crystals on every side.


DDR Arrows


This was my first DDR shirt and it is a simpler design. The crystals were 4mm which seem small, but it's pretty blinding when you are out in the sun. I prefer my new design with the 2mm crystals, but some people like things big, so here's what you'll need:
  • 110 4mm crystals. I used light pink Swarovski crystals to match the shirt but it's completely up to you!
  • Blank T-shirt. See the link above for some places to buy blank t's. The one I'm wearing is by Anvil and it runs small.
  • Silicon Transfer Film. See link above for where to buy.
  • Standard Iron. Ask your mom - I'm sure she has one. ;-)
  • The Pattern. Click this link, save the image to your computer, and print it. This is already a mirror-image so you do not have to modify it.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I really like these t-shirts! You did a great job with them! I want to get DDR for the Wii now. ;)

khrome said...

Thanks!! I got a new DDR disk (actually, a new old one for PS2) on sale at Fry's. I just played it - I love it! I will look into the Wii version and see if it has good songs. If I get a Wii, I want Animal Crossing too. :-D

MeeShel said...

Those T's look super-fantastic!

I also saw the CafePress ad for your MooMoo TaurTaur logo items... The baby onesies and the pillows look too cute for words. You should make one look like it's steaming mad/pouting, with a "pfft-pfft... Rawr!" or something like that.

khrome said...

Thanks MeeShel!

I could make a steaming tauren, but I purposely made them cute to make big burly men squirm. Big burly men can't handle cuteness. lol