Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sewing Project 10 - Newsboy hat

I've decided I've got too much fabric and I want to use it up before getting anything new.  I used the pink flannel from my last project for this cute hat from Simplicity 3942, which has a great set of accessories.  I used this pattern before for my shawl back in project 1. 



I did View A which is a sort of newsboy hat but with 6 panels instead of 8.  I already did a review of it on patternreview.com, so I'll just cut and paste some sections here:


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I made two - the first one didn't come out right at all, but that was my fault. I missed the part about a 1/2" seam allowance. I was doing 5/8". I also didn't measure my head and assumed I was a small, but I was really a medium. The medium hat did come out like the picture.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I don't like that the hat is unlined. And with 6 panels, that's a lot of seams cluttering the inside, even when I used self-encased seams. Also has an unsightly elastic around the inside.
 
What it looks like if you just do the printed instructions


Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I lined the hat with the same fabric. The elastic and brim allowance are all neatly hidden between the two layers. To add a lining, make the hat following all the instructions but don't do the last step which is to press the elastic inwards.
- Cut 6 additional panels and assemble the same way you did the hat.
- Turn the hat inside out. The brim should be lying flat against the hat, not downwards
- Pin lining inside hat with right sides of fabric facing each other
- Sew through all layers except across the panel in the back so that you are left with an opening.
- Turn the hat inside out through the opening.
- Slipstitch the last panel shut
 
What it looks like lined


The pattern also requires you to use cardboard for the brim padding.  I used Dritz InnerFuse (double-sided stiff fusible interfacing.) 


You can also line the inside and brim with another fabric and make a reversible hat.


Conclusion:
Very good pattern for trendy hat. After I made it, I looked up similar hats at Nordstrom's site, and they run around $55. I don't think mine cost more than $5. You can also embelish with embroidery, applique, rhinestones, etc


More pics:


 
This is the top.  I did a better job of matching plaids based on what I learned from my Winter Outfit project.


 
Me, wearing the hat

1 comment:

robbiekywst@yahoo.com said...

I am in the process of making a hat for my man friend that is similar to yours only it is an 8 pannel news boy hat.

The original pattern that I have dates back to 1974 and is a women's hat, inner-band size 23 inches. His head size is 28.5 inches.

My question is this:
How do I alter the pattern? Do I just make all sides of each piece that much larger (I estimated aproxamately 3/8 in larger all the way around the pattern piece); or is there another method for altering hats?

I have scoured the net to find an answer... posted on many blogs and no results or answers yet.

Your response, negative or positive would bge greatly appreciated!

Robbie
robbiekywst@yahoo.com