Friday, December 21, 2007

9th Sewing Project - Winter Outfit

It's been too long since my last sewing project!  It was good to get back into it.  This one is an outfit that I will be wearing to our family get-together next week.  It's actually made up of two pieces - a jumper dress with empire waist, and a hooded capelet.  I already had an idea in mind about what I wanted - this is definitely Loli inspired.



The pattern I used for the jumper is New Look 6726



I used a pink plaid cotton flannel with faux fur trim.  As far as learning new things - I learned to use the button foot for this one.


  The jumper dress


  Closeup of fabrics


  I love the top-stitching detail


The capelet is a self-drafted pattern.  Instead of rehashing it, I'm going to paste my review from patternreviews.com here - it includes instructions for the capelet construction, and how to make fur pom-pom balls.  But first the pics:


  Hood is lined with same fabric


  With the hood on


  Hood off, side view


----------------------------------


(from my review at patternreview.com)


Pattern Description:
The pattern instructions are actually for an opera cloak. I drafted it to my measurements, and shortened the length to above the elbow. Here are the original instructions:
http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebaran/DoItYourself/Cloak03.html

Pattern Sizing:
Whatever you want it to be!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
It looked how I intended, but the shoulders are too broad. Maybe I shouldn't have made the curve as curvy.

Fabrics used
Pink Plaid Cotton Flannel, Faux Fur trim. Handmade fur pom-poms

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, but I wrote up my own instructions before I started because I wanted to remember to do things that the site didn't mention. My instructions are:

1. Sew hood pieces together
2. Sew hood lining together
3. Sew hood and hood lining together
4. Pin cape pieces together. Check that the neck of the hood and neck of the cape are the same measurements. If cape is larger, adjust pinning down the center seam. Sew cape pieces together
5. Finish seams and hem cape.
6. On hood lining, press under 5/8"
7. Sew hood to cape by joining hood piece to cape, NOT the lining.
8. Pin hood lining so that it covers the hood/cape seam. Top-stich to join hood, cape, and lining pieces together.
9. Baste drawstring into place on outside of cape where the hood joins the cape
10. Pin trim around edge of cape and hood, over the drawstring. Sew into place.

In hindsight, I should have used 4 inch trim instead of 2 inch, and wrapped it around the edge like a binding. If you do that, you can skip the hemming part.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I changed the shoulder width and neck measurements. I left the entire width, 45cm, the changed the angle from shoulder to hem accordingly. I made the hood larger because I have a lot of hair and plan to wear it up, so I wanted room in the hood.

This is important - the bottom edge is tricky when you shorten it. If you leave it as-is, the cape will be longer on the sides of your arms instead of going straight across from the center. So I recommend making a prototype with muslin (or whatever is handy), try it on, pin the sides up where they should be, then re-adjust our pattern.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, if I had need for another furry capelet!

Instructions for pom-poms
You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find instructions for making pom-poms on the web. There are plenty for yarn ones, but not fur ones. I made this up after examining the ones on my store-bought boots.

1. Cut a 4" x 4" square of fur fabric. In my case, I sewed two pieces of 2"x4" together to make a square.
2. Fold fabric in half. Cut a half-circle using the fold as the straight side. It doesn't have to be perfect.
3. Open the circle and place end of drawstring at the center, going out to the edge (like a radius line.) Sew it to the circle. Backstitch a couple of times - you don't want the string to slip out.
4. Sew a gathering stitch around the edge of the circle.
5. Gather the edge together. When it's a bowl shape, add stuffing material.
6. Gather together all the way until edges are tight around the string coming out. Sew the excess fabric that sticks out flat against the ball.
7. While you were sewing, you might have sewed the fur flat on parts. Simply pick the fur out with your fingers, and fluff to cover the stitches.

2 comments:

loobs said...

You are correct that it is impossible to find 'how to make fur pom poms' on google! So then I found your post. Thank you! It's a neat outfit and really suits you!

khrome said...

Thanks, loobs! I wrote this blog several years ago and I can't believe there still aren't any other pom-pom instructions out there! Oh well, more hit counts for me. :-) Good luck with your pom-poms!