Friday, September 14, 2007

8th Sewing Project - Swimdress


This is my 8th sewing project - Kwik Sew 2690 swimdress. This is part of my Hawaii vacation wardrobe, as are projects 3 through 7. Making swimwear is a lot different from the other things I've made because it is a stretch fabric - stretch fabrics are more difficult to sew. It also requires different needles, stitch types, and thread. Before I began, I did a ton of research (the best links can be found at the bottom of this post) and here are a list of tips that you can use if are sewing swimwear for the first time:


Tips



- use size 9 to 11 ballpoint, teflon-coated needles. These slide between the knit of fabric without breaking the fibers.
- use polyester or poly blend thread. It has more stretch than cotton, therefore won't break as easily.
- wind your bobbin slowly.  Poly thread stretches if you wind it too fast. It can cause your fabric to pucker later on when it relaxes.
- when looking for fabric, note that Lycra is a name brand of spandex (I used to think they were different things.) Swimwear is approximately 85% nylon and 15% Lycra spandex
- use a melt-away stabilizer to keep your fabric from stretching while you sew. I used a brand called Wonder Tape.


Along with my typical alterations to the pattern, I opted to use molded bra cups instead of the recommended sew-in or pin-in types. (The instructions for sewing molded bra cups are at the bottom of this post.) The instructions only show you how to sew around the edge of the cup. I went a step further and zig-zagged across the contures of the cup, sewing the lining against it.


Things I Learned 



- sewing a stretch fabric with a 3-point zig-zag stitch and overcast stitch
- sewing elastic onto a garment
- using molded bra cups in a garment
- using melt-away stabilizer
- tension control for stretch fabrics (finally noticed that it's actually opposite of what you would do for woven fabrics.)


The fabric I chose was a 4-way stretch 80% nylon and 20% lycra from eBay. It's a really pretty floral and scrolly pattern on dark chocolate brown. The lining is a nude tone from Denver Fabrics.


Here are the pics:


The swimdress, lying flat


The dress consists of a regular suit underneath made of swim lining and the dress sewn over the top. This is a pic of the body turned inside out. This was the first part of the project, and as you can see, I'm a noob at controlling my zig-zags at this point. Later I got better. My tension is also not set correctly here.


This is the body and dress sewn together - you can see how the pattern has you make faux panties. Even though that saves on fabric, I think next time I will make a whole suit instead of faux panties.


Pics of me wearing the swimdress


Links:


Pattern School - this is a site that will teach you how to make your own swimwear pattern block. Although I didn't have to make my own pattern, this site has TONS of valuable information that can be used when altering a commercial pattern in order to get the best fit. The most useful info I got for this particular project is under "Start Here | Intro to Stretch"
http://www.patternschool.com/


About swim fabric, by Kwik Sew
http://www.kwiksew.com/DealerSite/Books/Swim/SwimFabric.htm


How to Sew Swimwear
http://blog.denverfabrics.com/how-to-sew-swimwear/


More about stabilizers
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00128.asp


How to add molded bra cups to a dress lining
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2007/04/19/adding-bra-cups-to-a-halter-top-or-dress/


Fun links about the history of the bathing suit
http://www.victoriana.com/library/Beach/FashionableBathingSuits.htm
http://www.fashion-era.com/swimwear.htm

4 comments:

JuliN said...

This is a great post! Thank you for the links and detailing what you learned.

khrome said...

Thanks, JuliN! I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. ^_^ I'm glad you found this helpful.

Kelley said...

This is a really cute swimsuit. I really like the fabric you've used and the style looks really practical and stylish.

khrome said...

Thanks, Kelley! I had actually bought two kinds of fabric last time - the other is pink with cherries. I thought the pattern had a retro look to it so the cherries would be perfect. I just need to get around to making it!! >_<