Monday, August 27, 2007

7th Sewing Proj. - Puffed Sleeves Blouse


This pattern is Butterick 4985, otherwise known as the pain-in-my-ass-shirt.  Everything that could possibly go wrong, did, with this one.  But I made it through - I'm still trying to decide if it was worth all the trouble.  The other things I've made were much cuter, and took less time and work!


Foot attachments used:



  • Overcast Stitch Foot
  • Buttonhole Foot

Finishing techniques - all seams are either French seams or overcast stitch.  Alterations to the pattern - narrow shoulders, wider waist.  The fabric is 100% cotton, strawberries over yellow check, from Joann's.  Strawberry buttons, also from Joann's. 


  The finished shirt


  Closeup of buttons, buttonholes, front gathers and seams


  French seams and overcast stiches


  Puffed sleeves


  Me, wearing.  I've been watching a lot of "I Love Lucy" lately, and the puffed sleeves and strawberry print reminded me of the 50's.  So I thought it would be fun to do a 50's looking pic.  Don't worry, I didn't cut my bangs - they are faux bangs made of my own hair.  Maybe I'll write a how-to blog on how to make them.  :-)

No comments: