My third sewing project was Simplicity 4223. I was trying to pick patterns in the order that I thought were difficult, and in hindsight I probably should have picked a dress pattern instead of a shirt. What made this project difficult was that it's a semi-fitted shirt, and I have odd measurements. I made two practice shirts out of muslin in different sizes before I finally figured out I needed to customize the pattern. I am undoubtedly shaped like a pear. Another problem were sleeves - they are a lot more difficult than they seem. I had to rip the seams out several times before I finally figured out how to do them. But in the end, I was pretty happy with how it turned out, and also discovered why store-bought clothes always never look right. It was because of my non-standard measurements. And when your clothes don't fit right, YOU look out of proportion when in actuality it is the CLOTHES that are out of proportion. As you will see from the pics, with a shirt made to my measurements, I hardly resemble the pear that I am.
I used Hello Kitty printed cotton fabric and burgundy satin ribbon. Using the ribbon as a trim on the sleeves and hem were my idea - it was not part of the pattern.
New things learned:
- Modifying a pattern to my measurements
- Using a staystitch
- Using fusable interfacing
- How to make frog closures
- Making a turned and stitched finish
- Easing a sleeve
- Using a bias binder foot