Monday, April 2, 2007

ACWW Tea Rooms, Boutique, & Greenhouse

Update

It's been a while since my last AC:WW update, but not much has happened. I got the Golden Axe and did some interior design on my house, since I am all done with pleasing the HRA. The only landscaping since last update was changing that darned garden in front of the shops that I can't seem to figure out what to do with. I pulled everything out, and planted a bunch of Jacob's Ladders along with a few hybrids. I think I like it except that they wilt a lot faster than regular flowers.

In my house are now five little shops. Three are dedicated to a passion of mine - tea! One room is a greenhouse nursery for hybrid flowers. The last room is a boutique. Although most of the rooms use AC:WW carpet and wallpaper, I did have to create some of my own. I had to make a fourth character to hold the seven new patterns.

The seven new patterns I'm using for the interior of the house. Closeups of the patterns
appear in the sections below. Like usual, feel free to copy them.

The Chinese Tea Room

The Chinese Tea Room is the main room of the house. It is inspired by my favorite tea house in San Francisco, California called the Imperial Tea Court. The Exotic and Classical furniture sets worked perfectly for this room, with it's deep rich colors. Hidden behind two screens is a little kitchen where the food is prepared. I didn't like any of the wall options, so I created a pattern that looks like a Chinese rosewood screen.

At a Chinese tea room, you can expect to have the finest selection of loose-leaf teas in green, white, oolong, and black. There is also a type of tea called Pu-erh that is caked and usually used for medicinal purposes. (I haven't acquired a taste for that one.) Tea is served in a gaiwan or covered cup, or ceremony style. Water temperature makes all the difference in making a perfect cup of tea. Most people in the west boil their water way too hot. For green tea, you should be able to put a drop of water in the palm of hand without it hurting you. For black tea, the water should be slightly warmer than that.

Overhead view of roomThe kitchen, hidden be-
hind two screens
Close-up view
Rosewood wall patternThe Imperial Tea
Court (1)
The Imperial Tea
Court (2)

The English Tea Room


If you want to enjoy a European cup of tea, then visit my English Tea Room on the right side of the house. This room was inspired by another real-life teahouse, Lisa's Tea Treasures in San Jose, California. It is decorated in Victorian furniture (the closest I found is from the Regal set) and there is also a cozy fireplace and a phonograph. Maybe if I am not busy serving tea, I will play the harp for you. :)

English Tea Rooms are open for Afternoon Tea and High Tea, as is traditionally done in Europe. You can expect a hot cup of Darjeeling (an Indian tea) with sugar and cream - all served on delicate floral china. Crumpets, scones, jams, and tea sandwiches are also served. Mmm, I just made myself hungry.




Overhead viewClose-up viewLisa's Tea Treasures (3)

The Japanese Tea Room


For a more formal but intimate tea ceremony, visit my Japanese Tea Room on the left side of the house. For this room, I needed a shoji screen and tatami mats, both of which you can get from Sahara, but she has not yet offered them to me. So I made my own patterns instead. I've seen pics on the web of Sahara's shoji screen, butI rather like how mine came out better. So I will keep it. But the tatami mats have got to go as soon as I get the real ones. There are only two ways to tile patterns, an neither produces the correct way that tatami mats should be laid out.

In the diagram below, you will see how a typical Japanese tearoom is laid out. The tokonoma is a recessed area to display a wall scroll and flowers. Since I can't place just one tile on the wall, I put my wall scroll on a display stand instead. The area called the mizuya is used for storage and food preparation. It is usually covered by a screen. That is why I have some items behind a screen behind the hearth. The tsukubai and lantern should also be outside the house, but once again, limitations of the game.

The Japanese Tea Ceremony would be way too long to go into details here. You can check out the link at the bottom of this blog that goes to the Wikipedia entry on it.





Diagram of the layout
of a Japanese tea
house
(4)
The tsukubai and
lantern by the door
Close-up of tokonoma
area



Shoji screen patternTatami mat pattern"Ume" painting on
scroll

A real Japanese tea
room (5)

The Greenhouse

Since I started playing AC:WW, I knew I wanted the back room to be a nursery. At first I used the Ivy Wall to give it that outdoor effect. But at the last minute, I decided I wanted a greenhouse instead. I think it makes the room look light and airy. So far, I have a few hybrids, dandelions, Jacob's Ladder, and my bonsai collection in there. But none of the collections are complete yet, and I've already maxed out on how many itemsI can put in the room. I'm going to have to start thinking about what I want to keep in there, and what to put in storage.




Overhead viewClose-up viewGreenhouse Glass
Pattern

A real greenhouse (6)

The Boutique


The last room - the upstairs room - is the boutique. In there, I display all my custom parasols that match the Japanese lolita fashions I made a few months ago. I also display in-game items that go with the loli dresses, such as bonnets, hats, and hair pins. My town is a one-stop shop for all your loli / garden party / tea party needs!

As far as wallpaper and carpet, I originally had the Lovely set in there but it was a little too loud. So I made my own. The wallpaper was actually inspired by a fabric used on my custom-made purse. The carpet was just some free-form scrolls.






Close-up viewClose-up viewBoutique wallpaper
pattern

Boutique floor patternMy purse that inspired
the wallpaper (7)



Credits


  1. Photo from The Imperial Tea Court website
  2. Photo from The Imperial Tea Court website
  3. Photo from Lisa's Tea Treasures website
  4. Diagram from wikipedia.org's entry on "Japanese Tea Ceremony"
  5. Photo from Japanese Guesthouses website
  6. Photo from "Dave builds a greenhouse" gallery
  7. Photo of my purse made by Mimi's Sewing Boutique

No comments: