After experimenting a few months, I've settled on this routine.
- shampoo/condition every other day with Avalon Organics Nourishing Shampoo and Avalon Organics Nourishing Conditioner. These contain no harsh ingredients or silicones.
- Followed by a pea-sized amount of Now Refined Shea Butter on the ends of hair. Helps to moisurize, and retain moisture, thus preventing splits.
- ACV and honey rinse once a week. It's done between shampooing and conditioning. ACV (apple cider vinegar) removes buildup, restores pH balance, and makes your cuticles lie flat (so your hair appears shinier.) Honey adds volume. My recipe is: 2 cups water, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp honey.
- Drying and combing - allow hair to air dry. I use a wide tooth comb when wet and a wide tooth Chinese boxwood comb when my hair is dry. Wood combs cause less static, also preventing dryness and splits.
- weekly S&D - search and destroy. snip all bad ends